Sunday, February 3, 2013

Orange County Choppers Cafe

A Saturday with the Mr.  Here's how it went:

1.  Buy a new kitchen faucet
2.  Pick up wallpaper glue to make a repair at my Mommy's
3.  Have links removed from the fabulous watch I received as a Christmas gift
4.  Impulse buy a new jacket and a dress
5.  Stop at the beauty supply store for a few necessary grooming products
6.  Have the car washed
7.  Time for a lunch date...

I have wanted to visit the Orange County Chopper Cafe  (Click here for the link to the OCC Cafe) mostly because it is a local tourist site and I want to see what all the fuss is about.  As far as the show, I have seen my share of episodes but would by no means describe myself as a super fan.  Just aware and entertained.



I don't know why but I didn't realize the Cafe was connected to the retail area so I thought it was nice to wonder around and see if any of the bikes I might recognize were on display.  This past summer I organized a fund raiser for a local man who lost an arm and a leg in a motorcycle accident and Orange County Choppers sent 2 motorcycles for exhibition purposes; the POW/MIA and the Apache. 

I thought it quite controversial or conversational that a Lance Armstrong/Livestrong bike was part of the current display.  Should it be removed or is it a bigger draw now?




Honestly, I've never been on a motorcycle in my life and if I really share, I am afraid of them.  I also forgot how very long these particular choppers are from front to rear wheel.



I wasn't sure at all how this car fit into the mix, but thought it looked pretty cool.



On to the cafe...



We were greeted fairly promptly by one of the two hostesses working and seated by the open kitchen.  It was nice to smell the food and somehow reassuring to be able to see into the kitchen.  Our waitress (server - I never know what is the proper and politically correct term) came to our table as soon as we removed our coats.

I needed a minute to decide from the drink/wine/beer list.  Which do you think I ordered?  I have to confess I already had it set in my mind that I would be having a burger and I thought this particular drink would be the best choice for me.



Give up?  The Mile Marker Margarita.  I like Margaritas when they are served over ice best not frozen, but I do like a salted rim.  This cocktail was tasty without feeling like an alcohol overload.



If you have been following this blog for any amount of time you may already know the Mr. is likely to order chicken when we are out.  In keeping with his predictable self, he does order a chicken club without cucumber slices.


I am a HUGE Food Network junkie and of course love watching Guy host Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.  In one episode and in the promos he cries out, "Onion Jam" and the way he performs those two small words will stay with the viewer.  When I see the OCC Cafe Onion Jam Burger on the menu, I hear Guy's sing-song voice and want to play air guitar for just a moment or at least hold up my hand with just my thumb and pinky sticking out in a salute.  Yes, the onion jam burger prepared medium/well with sweet potato fries and it comes with fried mozzarella.  What could go wrong?



I loved the presentation.  How fun to have a custom branding iron for the buns.  The cheese, well, we each tried one and it simply was not our taste.  Nothing wrong with it, just was not for us.  Everything else, down to the dill pickle spear, was fabulous.

At the end of the meal (I almost finished), we were asked about dessert and I just couldn't do it.  I did decide a quick trip to the Ladies Room was in order and was happy to see a fellow tourist with her Iphone camera out in the hallway.  The walls were decorated with various celebrities posing with Paul, Sr.  The Mr. and I did notice a lack of anything related to any of Senior's sons at the Cafe.  Coincidence or by design?  His idea or his son's?



Bill Murray.  He is just so likable isn't he?



I did photograph a few others, not for Senior, but the person he is photographed alongside.  I've been a Nicolas Cage fan since Moonstruck...but then I see the one that makes me stop and smile -



It is Guy "Onion Jam" Fieri!  Though his NYC restaurant  (Click here for the link to Guy Fieri's NYC restaurant) was panned (horribly) by the New York Times Dining Section, please be advised it is on my list of places to visit for 2013.  I prefer to decide for myself.

After lunch we continue the day with grocery shopping, I then clean the floors and get back to the general business of life.  Today we have made a memory, being tourists in a nearby town, enjoyed a nice lunch and are feeling quite Fed Well.

OCC Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Ooo I do want to let you know this place is awesome truly I recently been there as well as I wish to disclose that
    Cafe supplies are excellent there!
    And I'm so sure that this is not only my opinion!

    ReplyDelete